Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Double Journal Entry #3

1. Students are taught "how to read" in elementary school but not taught how to read for ideas, information, and concepts which is needed in secondary school.
2. Reading test scores are good for letting us know that there is a problem and that we as teachers need to do something to fix it.
3. I actually was not that surprised by most of the literacy myth realities. I was definitely not surprised by the "Students learn everything about reading and writing in elementary school" because I know that I certainly did not and I did not learn much in secondary school either. I am still a struggling reader. I guess I was a little surprised by the "Students who struggle with on literacy will have difficulty with all literacy" not because I think a poor reader will just be a poor reader with everything because I know I can read and understand things that I enjoy but have trouble when it comes to science or social studies reading material, but that I just never really thought how someone could be completely excellent at history but not so great at understanding word problems.
4. Reading is a big part of every subject. Its harder to read and comprehend some subjects but learning to relate what you are reading to other things helps. In a social studies lesson, you could be learning about the Holocaust and it is hard to comprehend what is going on because you weren't there going through it. There are plenty of books on the holocaust for different age groups and giving the student a book like that would be a great way for them to get a deeper understanding of it. A teacher could also read something to the student and ask them what they think it means.
5. I was really confused when reading this question so I may answer it wrong but I wasn't really taught how to use the Internet very well and that is a big part of our world today. I still don't have very good skills when it comes to navigating on it.
6. One literacy practice would be to let the students read a book they enjoy. This way they are reading and comprehending instead of just giving them a book to read that may be too hard or uninteresting.
7. A discourse community is a community where the members all understand each other and share the same interests. Some examples would be the soccer team, a sorority, cheerleaders, servers, truck drivers, etc. All these people share the same interests and can understand things about their interest that others outside of the community may not.
8. They can become resistant to school-based literacy if they are not recognized for bringing valuable, multiple literacy practices to school.
9. A teacher might find a text that relates to the extracurricular literacy practices of her students.
10. When I was in elementary school, we were allowed to choose our own books to write book reports on but when I got into high school, they gave us the books to read and I honestly don't think I read a single book when I was in high school because I did not enjoy the ones that were chosen for us.
11. The only time I can remember doing anything multicultural would be in Kindergarten when we made our own tee pee. I can remember reading about other cultures in social studies such as Native Americans but never really getting in great detail about it.
12. These teachers also do well on high-stakes tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment