Monday, October 8, 2012

Clinical Observation and Interview

I have been watching some of the students for a few weeks now. There are a few that I am concerned with. Student #1 I did not decide to interview but he is clearly a struggling student and my host teacher thinks that the student has a learning exceptionality of some kind. I noticed that this student absolutely cannot write his letters. When the student spells their name, you cannot read it at all. The teacher ends up writing it up in the corner of the paper so we know whose it is. I tried teaching the student today how to write their S's but the student could not grasp the concept. When asked to draw an S while looking at the S I drew, the student made a circle. I was blown away. I am really concerned when I look at the student's paper and am not sure how to grade it because every letter looks like a T or an F.

Student #2 is a very bright student. I would consider this student one of the brightest in the class. This student also happens to be the youngest. The student's birthday was the day before Kindergarten cut off. This student can read so well even words that have not been taught yet. This student is very polite and knows the schedule of the day so well he/she reminds the teacher of when they are suppose to be going to lunch or the restroom. The only trouble with this student is the fact that he/she is so young. The student is a little immature and has a hard time following directions. The student often cannot stay in their seat or sit still on the carpet. The student often tattles on the other students and is bullied by the other students. The student also talks out of turn and often gets their name on the board. The student really just wants to be a teacher's pet and my host teacher believes he should have been held back just because of how immature he is.

Student #3 is one of the students I interviewed. This student is also extremely bright. The student is also very bright and physically bigger than the other students. Student #3 was not held back but you can tell he/she is more mature than the rest of the students. This student seems quite bored with school. He/she often does not like to color when the other students are and find the worksheets boring but not hard. He/she is also a bit of a bully. When interviewed, I asked who he was friends with and one student mentioned Student #2's name and Student #3 replied, "no, don't write that down". He/she picks on Student #2 and if it doesn't get stopped now, it will be a problem in the future.

Student #3's Interview:

When asked "Do you enjoy school?"
Student #3 replied: "No, because there is lots of work and math papers."

When asked: "What kind of student are you?"
Student #3 replied: "A good one"

When asked: "What do you do for fun outside of school?"
Student #3 replied: "Play with Student #4 and fireball"

When asked "How would your classmates describe you?"
Student #3 replied: Used the student's name here.

When asked :Who are you friends with? What do you and your friends do together?
Student #3 replied: This student named of few of the other students and even his/her teacher and they played fireball and punching brothers.

When asked: Tell me a good memory about school.
Student #3 replied: "First day of Kindergarten because I got to learn something new"

When asked: Tell me a bad memory you have about school.
Student #3 replied: "When _____ annoys me" (I'm not sure who this student is)

When asked: Describe a "good" teacher or tell me about a favorite teacher you had in the past.
Student #3 replied: "(my host teacher) because she is the funnest!"

When asked: What is one thing you wish your teacher knew about you?
Student #3 replied: "That we could drive motorcycles around the playground"


I had not really watched Student #4 too much until my host teacher suggested that I interview him/her as the struggling student. This student has a hard time getting out what he/she wants to say and often thinks really hard but doesn't really make much sense when he/she speaks. I will have to observe this student more to see more of the signs of struggling.

Student #4's Interview:
When asked "Do you enjoy school?"
Student #4 replied: "Yes, I like to play outside"

When asked: "What kind of student are you?"
Student #4 replied: no response for this one.

When asked: "What do you do for fun outside of school?"
Student #4 replied: "I like to electric scooter"

When asked "How would your classmates describe you?"
Student #4 replied: ."They are my friends" "I have a girlfriend, she's bad"

When asked :Who are you friends with? What do you and your friends do together?
Student #4 replied: "I can't tell you" This student named a few of the students "Play army, ninja soldiers, numchuck, firepower, motorcycles"

When asked: Tell me a good memory about school.
Student #4 replied: "Outside"

When asked: Tell me a bad memory you have about school.
Student #4 replied: "My girlfriend likes to hold hands with me. She follows me. If I yell at her, she just sits right on her bottom"

When asked: Describe a "good" teacher or tell me about a favorite teacher you had in the past.
Student #4 replied: This student mentioned me, my host teacher the aide, and the special education teacher.

When asked: What is one thing you wish your teacher knew about you?
Student #4 replied: "Me and (Student #3) like people"" ____ my girlfriend"

No comments:

Post a Comment