Sunday, October 14, 2012

Journal Entry #8

1. This book is written for those who feared reading and language arts. The thought of academic language made them queasy. The main problem is that those "big" words intimidated most people and made them frustrated by reading.

2. The "ways with words" the author is talking about is the new way of learning words we use today.

3. The author states that “The core argument of this book will be that people learn new ways with words, in or out of school, only when they find the worlds to which these words apply compelling.” This means that people will learn new words if they find it interesting. I see it as like reading a book. I can only read books if I find them interesting and I'm sure a lot of other people are the same way. If the person finds what they are learning interesting to them, then they are more likely to hold onto the knowledge.

4. As a server, we have a different "ways with words". We don't necessarily use diner lingo but we do use "86" which means that we are out of something. And we tell other servers "you're up" which means you have food ready to be run and "you're down" which means that you have a table sat. I did not know many of these terms until I started as a server.

5. The author states that people learn "ways with words" best when they can tie the new words with experiences they've had that can stimulate their memory.

6. For people to be successful in the 21st century, they must be able to transform themselves to satisfy this ever changing society.

7. I am in the in between on this question. I do wish that I understood textbook language and could talk that way. I think it would have helped me out with school. When I read a textbook, I feel insufficient. I do not understand a single thing I read once I am done with a textbook. However, I know that many people feel this way and that we do not talk in that sense. I guess I feel that learning academic language is not sufficient to be successful in the modern world. We do not communicate in textbook language so if we cannot learn it we are not doomed.

8. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book. It really caught my attention. I feel as if I can relate to this book because I am one of those who sometimes feel as though I am in that black hole. The bulleted points helped me read the points the author wanted to get across. I'm looking forward to reading more of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment